On the Clementine Trail

Enjoy it!TerritoryOn the Clementine Trail

On the Clementine Trail

TERRANOVA DA SIBARI

Terranova da Sibari over the centuries has always represented the nobility and prosperity of one of the most important centers in all of Calabria. It is worth noting that in 1735, Charles III of Bourbon was a guest of the last feudal lords of the area, the Spinelli family. They resided in the Norman-origin castle, along with the so-called prince’s palace. The Feudal Castle of the Spinelli Princes is located right in the center of the town and was enriched by a theater, of which the monumental facade can still be admired. The theater was intended to provide performances to entertain the distinguished guests of the feudal lord. The village is located in the province of Cosenza, dominating the plain of Sibari. The place is rich in spirituality, as evidenced by the presence of numerous convents. There are around 20 churches, including the prestigious church of S. Nicola, dating back to 1341, and that of S. Maria delle Grazie, now called S. Antonio da Padova, from 1611, decorated in Baroque art and later embellished with beautiful 1700s stuccoes.

TORRETTA DI CRUCOLI

Torretta di Crucoli, also called Crucoli Torretta, is a place known both for its activities related to the presence of the Ionian Sea and for the remains of the original Norman castle and its defensive walls. Both belonged to the Amalfitani family, awarded by Philip IV of Spain the title of marquises of Crucoli in 1649. The interiors of the fortress are not accessible, but its massive structure dominates the landscape in a suggestive way. Not far away, in the historic center, stands the Cathedral, dedicated to S.S. Peter and Paul. In the Torretta fraction, there is a building from the second half of the 15th century, called “La Torretta,” built following Turkish invasions and the plundering of 1577. In 1764, it was plundered by the inhabitants of Rossano due to the famine that struck the Kingdom of Naples. The presence of civilization is rooted in time, so much so that amphorae, terracotta artifacts, and tombs were found. Near Torretta and in its vicinity are many other historical buildings, including the eighteenth-century Villa Ciuranà, the Romanesque-style Villa Cassia, and the Norman-era Villa Clausi, which has been declared a national monument. Also highly appreciated over time is the production of fabrics with beautiful characteristic designs.

BORGIA

Borgia is located near Catanzaro and is one of the Calabrian centers with the most connections to the Roman era. In the last centuries before the birth of Christ, it was the subject of various measures by the Senate. Orders were given, for example, for the enlargement of the amphitheater, the new stage of the theater, and the construction of baths. Destroyed by an earthquake in 1783, the original inhabited center was rebuilt in another location and is now a center rich in noble palaces, monuments, churches, and ancient sculptures. The historic center is home to Villa Pertini, Piazza del Popolo, and Piazza Ortona, where you can admire the cathedral of 1852 dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The village is dominated by dense vegetation of ancient olive trees, immersed among these are the imposing remains of the basilica of Santa Maria della Roccella. Borgia’s marine area extends for about 6 kilometers with white sandy beaches, between Catanzano Lido and Squillace Lido, preserving the same morphological characteristics. The sea is crystal clear and deep like in all of the Coast of the Oranges. The Archaeological Park of Scolacium and the adjoining Antiquarium were established in 1982, in Roccelletta di Borgia, on a vast olive grove. Here you can admire the remains of the ancient Roman colony of Scolacium, built in 120 B.C. Unmissable, finally, are the remains of the basilica of Santa Maria della Roccella, one of the largest churches in all of Calabria.

BRIATICO

Briatico is located on the Tyrrhenian Sea, a few kilometers from Vibo Valentia. It is a highly regarded seaside resort. It is nestled on the cliffs of the Coast of the Gods and overlooks the Gulf of Sant’Eufemia, offering truly sublime scenery. The local economy thrives on tourism and is fueled by hotels, resorts, camping sites, bed and breakfasts, and vacation homes. The old town of Briatico was destroyed by an earthquake in 1783; today, it stands where it was rebuilt.

BOVALINO

Bovalino, in the province of Reggio Calabria, is a favorite destination for Calabrian tourism. This is thanks to its particular geographical location, which allows you to reach both the sea and the renowned Aspromonte Park in just a few minutes. The waters are crystal clear, so much so that the town has been awarded the coveted Green Flag. This is given to beaches that, due to their natural characteristics and efficient services, are particularly suitable for children. Behind Bovalino Marina is Bovalino Superiore, the ancient part of the city. There are monuments of considerable interest and places to visit. Among many, it is worth mentioning the castle built by Count Ruggero d’Altavilla after the Norman conquest (1059). Also, a visit to the Parish Church of Santa Maria della Neve and Santa Caterina Vergine is a must. Both are of medieval foundation.

Back To Top
Social
公式SNS